Marital Property and Asset Division
The right Attorney can improve the quality of your life far into the future. Community property and asset division is not as easy as you may think.
In community property states like California, each party in a divorce is entitled to one-half of all property and assets acquired during a marriage, with the exception of inheritances or gifts.
- While this sounds simple, it can lead to long, drawn-out disputes and conflict. It can bring out the worst in the parties;
- hiding assets from the other spouse can be an issue, especially in situations where one spouse controlled the assets during marriage or there is a closely held business.
- The parties frequently dispute the value of an asset or the other person’s separate contribution to the marital estate.
On top of conflicts like these, there are the basic fears:
- Will you get your fair share?
- Will you have to sell property in order to divide it equally?
- Will you receive enough of the assets so you can have a decent place to live?
Put knowledgeable, experienced property division experts with a track record of success to work for you.
We are known for our success protecting and ensuring asset rights during divorce. We have the expertise and experience with the courts to make sure that your property is divided correctly.
Our experts and specialists will ensure that all assets are valued properly. And we make sure that your spouse is not hiding anything that is subject to division by community property laws.
Questions about property division? We can help.
Our law firm can help answer important questions such as:
- What is the value of a business?
- Does an asset owned by one of the parties prior to the marriage belong to both?
- How much has an asset appreciated or depreciated during the course of the marriage?
- Do 401(k) and other retirement accounts of a single individual belong to the couple?
- Did one spouse contribute significantly to the education of the other spouse ?
- Do assets inherited during the marriage from a family member belong to both parties?
- How does the refinancing or a quit claim deed affect each spouse’s right to real property?
We use the answers to questions such as these to develop a case strategy that results in persuasive arguments about property division. We develop clear arguments to persuade the court to divide property to your advantage.
What you can expect.
“When you work with Hammers & Baltazar Family Law on your property and asset division you can expect that you will receive a comprehensive analysis of your assets and expert advice so you are assured of receiving your proper share.”
-Armine Baltazar, ADR Practitioner, Managing Partner
If you have questions regarding the division of marital property and other assets in a divorce, call us for knowledgeable and experienced answers. These include child custody, spousal and child support, post-judgment modifications, property division and paternity services.
- Call our Santa Monica office at (310) 458-0796. Located at Ocean Park and 28th Street.
- Call our Costa Mesa/Newport office at (949) 631-2805. Located on Victoria near the 55.
We accept most major credit cards.