An expert Family Lawyer will prepare you to prevail in Court for your critical child custody, visitation, evaluations and hearings.
- Child custody is perhaps the single most important issue for divorcing parents. Divorce can threaten your relationship with your children. We will help you make the best decisions and avoid devastating mistakes.
- Is your spouse is trying to shut you out of your kids’ lives altogether? You don’t want the stress and pain of a child custody battle, but you need to be sure that your children’s best interests and your rights as a parent are protected.
Guiding you through the complex custody process.
- We understand what you are going through. Our experience and relationships will help you navigate the complicated legal process that determines child custody arrangements.
- You may live with the outcome of a custody evaluation long into the future. We help prepare you for your child custody hearing, coaching and educating you about your custody evaluation and strategizing the most effective way to present your case.
Preparing you for your custody evaluation and hearings
- Hearings in these Courts are often very quick. You may have little time to speak with the judge so it is essential for you to be as persuasive as possible in the few minutes you may have.
- Small factors like knowing your child’s favorite color, or food, or referring to your child as “our child” instead of “my child,” can influence a judge’s opinion of your claim.
- We understand how much is at stake. Our lawyers ensure that you are well prepared and positioned to get the time with your children that you and they both deserve.
We are recognized statewide as expert child custody litigators on matters involving 730 evaluators and special masters.
Precedent Setting Case Law: The Marriage of Christina Adams and Jack A. (2012) 209 CA Judge Clay M. Smith, reversed and remanded on appeal. Barbara K. Hammers for Appellant.
Results of the appeal published. The California Court of Appeal for the Fourth Appellate District specifically agreed with our firm’s position in a case where we fought tenaciously to disqualify a child custody evaluator who exceeded the scope of his authority and then blatantly overcharged our client for a report that was clearly biased.
The Court overturned the ruling of the presiding judge citing that in their opinion he abused his discretion by failing to disqualify the evaluator for obvious bias and failed to consider the payment of the evaluators ridiculously over priced fees. Read full Court of Appeal opinion.
This is what you can expect from us at your child custody evaluation and hearing.
“When you work with Hammers & Baltazar Family Law on your child custody matter you can expect that your child’s well being will always be foremost in our strategy and the time you spend with your child will be maximized.”
-Barbara Hammers, Senior Litigation Partner
You benefit from our experience, hard work and attention to detail with all child custody matters.
- Custody evaluation process. This is often required by the courts and involves the assessment of both parents’ parenting skills by a psychologist. It can be very stressful.
- We are recognized as experts in matters concerning child custody. The California Family Code authorizes the use of a child custody evaluator where it is in the child’s best interests to have one. It is important that the legal requirements of Family Code Section 3111 and other code sections be followed with great care if you expect to prevail.
- Child custody modification. When your situation or the needs of your child have changed, or if you were not adequately represented at the initial custody hearing, we will request a hearing.
- Enforce visitation schedules. If the other parent is not complying with the court’s order for visitation, we can bring a contempt proceeding or seek a change in custody or visitation.
We know how sensitive custody matters are.
We find our work often leaves relationships intact between children and both parents. Our objective is to maximize your time with your children, as efficiently as possible, minimizing stress and anxiety for them and you.
Contact us. Get a clear picture of your situation.
If you are considering, beginning or currently facing divorce proceedings, call us for a more complete description of our child custody and other family law legal services. These include divorce, spousal and child support, post-judgment modifications, property division and paternity services. We accept most major credit cards.
- Call our Santa Monica office at (310) 458-0796. Located at Ocean Park and 28th Street.
- Call our Costa Mesa/Newport office at (949) 631-2805. Located on Victoria near the 55.